Friday, January 27, 2012

A Few Cleaning Solutions

A friend of mine inspired me today to post about some homemade cleaning products. Not only are they cheap, they are easy to use, clean just as well, and are great alternatives to the harsh, store bought, toxic chemicals that are typically used.

Surface Cleaner
1 part vinegar
1 part water
How to Use: Mix together in a spray bottle, spray, and wipe clean. No need to rinse.

Fancier Surface Cleaner
2 tbsp vinegar
2 cups water
1 tsp Borax
10-15 drops tea tree oil
How to Use: Mix together in a spray bottle, spray, and wipe clean. No need to rinse.

Heavy Duty Cleaner
1/4 cup vinegar
1 cup water
1 tsp Borax
10 drops orange essential oil
5 drops lemon essential oil
How to Use: Mix together in a spray bottle, spray, wipe clean, and rinse with water.

Glass Cleaner
1/3 cup vinegar (I've heard club soda also works in this one)
2/3 cup water
How to Use: Mix together in a spray bottle, spray, and wipe clean with newspaper.

Drain Cleaner
1/2 cup vinegar
1/2 cup baking soda
(I've also been told to try adding 1/2 cup sea salt)
How to Use: Mix together and pour down drain, let sit for at least 10 minutes and pour some hot water down the drain. (When I'm in a hurry I just pour the baking soda down the drain and pour some vinegar over top and consider my next shower the hot water...)

Linoleum Cleaner
1 tbsp liquid soap
1/4 cup washing soda
1/4 cup vinegar
2 gallons water
How to Use: Mix together in a large bucket and mop away! (I normally do a once-over with water after but I don't think it's necessary)

Rug Cleaner
Sprinkle carpet with baking soda, let sit for about 15 minutes, and vacuum up.

Stain Remover
1/4 cup vinegar
1 cup water
1 tsp liquid soap
How to Use: On Carpet-Mix together in spray bottle, spray on stain, let sit for about 15 minutes and scrub spot.  On Clothes- Mix together in spray bottle, spray on stain, let sit for about 15 minutes, rub into spot, and wash as normal.


These are just a few of my favorites and I'm sure I'll be posting more some other day. Until then, try these out and let me know what you think. Or let me in on the ones you've be using for years!


No comments:

Post a Comment